Skip to content
Math number evolution over time
- Unary system: Draw lines in the sand -- as simple as it gets. Great for keeping score in games; you can add to a number without erasing and rewriting.
- Roman Numerals: More advanced unary, with shortcuts for large numbers. You can find full article on Roman numerals at How to type Roman Numerals ?
- Decimals: Huge realization that numbers can use a "positional" system with place and zero.
- Binary: Simplest positional system (two digits, on vs off) so it's great for mechanical devices.
- Scientific Notation: Extremely compact, can easily gauge a number's size and precision (1E3 vs 1.000E3).